Monday, October 1, 2018

Anime Weekly Update, Summer Ends and Halloween Season Begins

Besides the currently airing shows I’ve been mainly watching old Pokemon Stuff still.  Sometimes joining one of the TwitchPresents streams which were covering Master Quest this last week and are now starting the Advance Generation, sometimes watching old Pokemon Chronicles and Diamond and Pearl episodes on my favorite non legit site.  And also revisiting various movies.

Happy Sugar Life had a fairly unsatisfying ending, they didn’t quite go all the way either way with the different routes they could have gone.  I gave the show an 8 on MAL for now, I may change my mind later.

Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight has also ended.  This show started out great but got pretty dull, really losing me with the pointless time loop twist, and in time I mostly felt like I was forcing myself to finish it, and maybe I wouldn't have if the Summer had more shows I really got into.  It gave us a happier ending then Ikuhara usually does so that’s a plus, but not enough to make up for how dull it got.

And of course in the last episode they decided to get really on the nose with the meta commentary they were never actually making.

Attack On Titan season 3 episode 6 was pretty good, lots of interesting reveals of the show’s lore that I’d been waiting for.  I know a lot of people are gonna see revealing the Royal/Noble bloodlines to have some secret magical powers as endorsing a Feudal worldview regardless of if it’s depicting them as depraved and corrupt.  But maybe it makes more sense to look at it as the families with special powers are the ones who naturally would have taken power in the distant past in a fantasy setting, like the Targaryen’s ability to control Dragons on Game of Thrones.

Episode 34 of Hugtto!PreCure was pretty amusing.  I was late in seeing episode 33 or I probably would have commented on it in last week’s update, with that episode I think the show might have gotten its groove back.

Episode 10 of Food/Stay Night was fun as usual.

Episode 21 of Steins;Gate 0 was awesome, this is what we’ve been waiting for.

Looks like my Anime of the year is still likely to be Katana Maidens.

For the coming Fall Season, the FUNimation Simuldubs I’m likely to try are That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime, Goblin Slayer, Ulysses: Jeanne D’Arc and The Alchemist Knight, and maybe a few others when I learn more about them.  Sentai/HiDive is doing Release The Spyce, I’ll wait till the Dub starts this time and then if I don’t like the voices I can just catch up on the Sub.  SAO season 3 I may try to follow Subbed since I know it’s Dub will take awhile, there are other shows I may try like that Vampire Yuri one.

And of course I’ll be continuing AoT 3 and what’s left of Steins;Gate 0.

For October I was earlier in the year planning to do some project related to Horror Anime, but due to certain events in my life I’m not in the mood for anything too dark right now.  So my Halloween Anime recommendations remain the same as they were last year in my Top 5 post and the follow up.  I did make a new Higurashi post on another blog.
http://mithrandironmythology.blogspot.com/2018/10/this-is-post-about-higurashiwhen-they.html

Update: Okay apparently I was mistaken about which show Sentai is simuldubbing. I guess I'll have to sub Release The Spyce.

No comments:

Post a Comment