Saturday, September 29, 2018

Pokemon of The Great Houses of Westeros

Back in the early years of Game of Thrones dominating pop culture I made a thread on a Message Board, I think it was VGF, that I can't find anymore, where I equated the various Sigils of the Houses of Westeros with various Pokemon.

I tried to remake it from scratch and I'm pretty sure I've remembered what I chose for everyone but Martell which is kind of the hardest to chose one for anyway, heck maybe I just left them out originally, they probably hadn't appeared properly on the show yet when I made it.

This was made back during the Black and White era, but since I never got into those games I had pretty much limited myself to the first 4 generations.  The responses I remember getting most objected to Charizard for Targaryen with people saying it should be Hydreigon.  Once I learned about the Blackfyre rebellion I figured Hydreigon would be good for the Blackfyres.  But now I would instead chose Mega Charizard X for the Blackfyre Sigil.

The reason I think some preferred Hydreigon for the Targaryens is because it's three headed.  But in universe the Dragons associated with the Targaryens are not literally multi-headed creatures, the three heads of the Sigil represent there being three Dragons involved in the founding of the Targaryen Dynasty, one ridden by Aegon The First and the other two by his sisters who Ayra Stark talked about in season 2.

The most important thing about the Targaryen Dragons is that they breath fire (they are the Fire of the Song of Fire and Ice), meaning really no actual Dragon type Pokemon fits the bill.  The Dragon type in Pokemon is based on Eastern notions of what a Dragon is, which is why it combines with the Water type more often then fire. But to the Western perception Charizard has always been the only true Dragon in the Pokemon universe.  (The Biblical Leviathan I can't find a Pokemon to equate with since it's uniquely both Fire Breathing and a Sea serpent, if a hacker gave Fire type attacks to Gyarados you'd then have how I picture Leviathan).

I gave myself a rule against using Legendaries, which was most limiting for the Greyjoys since their Sigil is literally of the god they worship, The Drowned god, who is often compared to Cthulhu, which based on what I've said about Pokemon before can lead one to equating it with Kyogre.  However one thing that people forget is Cthulhu would not be a Water Type, the Water is imprisoning him.  But that distinction isn't part of how the Drowned god is described, so yeah the Ironborn are basically the Team Aqua of Westeros.  At any rate I decided on Octillery for the Greyjoys.

I had initially chosen Stantler for Baratheon, but have now decided Swashbuck can work equally as well.

Choosing Persian for Lannister was one of the easiest.  While today there are more Lion like Pokemon to chose from, Persian is still best because Pay Day is a good allegory for $h!ting gold.

Targaryen = Charizard

Stark = Mightyena

Lannister = Persian

Baratheon = Stantler or Swashbuck

Tyrel = Sunflora

Arryn = Pidgeot

Tully = Magikarp

Martell = Castform (Sunny Form) or Solrock

Greyjoy = Octillery

Blackfyre = Mega Charizard X

No comments:

Post a Comment