Thursday, September 13, 2018

I just watched Pokemon Generations

I was someone who was a little disappointed by Pokemon Origins, so I didn't even take much notice of this project originally.  But I happened to be interested in revisiting Pokemon the last couple days and saw this could be view legally for free on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQWzKIaERirwv9M89dxN3bNLY0PyuChOU

And I really enjoyed it, it was surprisingly good, in fact I'll even call it great.  And it looks much better then Sun and Moon.  I hope they do something similar again.

The premise is a series of Anime shorts in a Universe separate from the Main Anime and more similar to the Games.  And they focus on other characters rather then being from the player characters' POVs, though some of them do cameo.

My only complaint is all of the Cameos from player characters were male.  With Origins I accepted it'd focus on Red the original protagonist but was still annoyed that Leaf couldn't even cameo, here the focus was supposed to be on different characters.  It's even implied Red's two episodes are in separate continuities due to the Starter Pokemon featured, so there is no reason one of them couldn't be Leaf instead.  For the generations where the female Player character got to be an Ash companion in the main Anime I would concede it's fair to give the Male ones their time in the sun here.  But Gold and Crystal had analogues in the main Anime via the Legend of Thunder special, so the fair option should have been using Lyra here.

Unlike Origins this project wasn't afraid to make some decisions that homaged the Main Anime.  Origins made a point to downplay Pikachu which the first episode of Generations sought to rectify.  The second episode implies Kanto region police use Growlith/Arcanine.  Rayquaza and Deoxys have a battle with each other like the 7th movie. Then there was the spotlight put on Iris in scene that belonged to the Player character in the Games.

I have never seen much of the Best Wishes era of the Anime, so I can't say much to compare that and this Iris characterization wise.  But Generations is arguably being made for an older Age demographic which shows in how this Iris does look sexier.

When X and Y first dropped I remember there being a fan theory that their Evil Team were like Nazis or Neo-Nazis, partly because of how Kalos was based on France.  So today watching this Anime made in late 2016 and early 2017 I couldn't help thinking "are they Trumping up Lysander?"  But then the DC Nerd in me realized this Lysander both looks a lot like Alexander Luthor Jr, and is kind of doing the same stuff.  Which reminds me how back in 2006 when I had a chip on my shoulder towards a certain film I kept pointing to Giovanni as a model for how to do a CEO Luthor right, now for a second Time Nintendo has done Luthor better then the WB can.  And that reminds me how the CEO Luthor was kind of based on 80s Trump and how he became President in 2000.  It's a weird world we live in.

Anyway I hope Nintendo decided to make more projects like this.  I have no interest in the main Anime for Sun and Moon, but I'd be intrigued to see a Generations style glimpse at the world of the newest games.

And maybe they could even consider making similar things for other Nintendo properties.  I mean how the player characters are handled here shows you could make Zelda shorts that keep Link silent and avoid mentioning him by name.

No comments:

Post a Comment