Thursday, September 20, 2018

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom is Dope

It's what I've been wanting from a Jurassic Park sequel since The Lost World.

People are gonna hate on it, but I don't care, it's different from prior movies and a lot of fun.

A few things bugged me.  Mainly that common sequel trope where the couple who got together at the end of the first film we find out broke up somewhere in between so now the romantic plot is them getting back together rather then the more difficult for writers task of continuing the relationship.  Ghostbusters II was the first time I saw it so it still doesn't bother me there, but I started seeing it as a pattern with National Treasure: Book of Secrets.

What I want from Jurassic Park films is like what I want from Pokemon films, they don't need to be perfectly flawless pieces of art like the very first JP film and Spell of The Unnown though it is great when they are.  What I want is to have fun with the titular monsters.  Now with Jurassic Park what I expect is much grittier while Pokemon is a Cartoon, but still there is a lot of ridiculousness I'm fine with.

Now that said, this movie did have more emotional resonance then I was expecting, even as someone who already loved the first Jurassic World film.

We could have had Colin do Star Wars Episode IX, instead we got Abrams again, someone who's good at starting things but not at finishing them.

If you like the previous film you'll probably like this one even more.  If you're a snob about your Dinosaur blockbuster films then you'll probably nitpick this to death but I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment