Friday, January 24, 2020

The Citrus Anime is holding up.

I recently re-watched some episodes and nearly two years later it holds up pretty well (sadly better then Katana Maidens did when I tried revisiting it).  At least the episodes I was personally most interested in re-watching were, which are the Himeko and Matsuri centric episodes.

Citrus is the only Anime I've ever watched while being already a fan of the Manga.  I read Manga pretty rarely and it's mostly just stuff that currently seems hopeless to ever get an Anime.  But Citrus happened to be the main hot topic of the Yuri community when I was first getting properly into Yuri.  I still haven't completed it however, I've read 25 chapters, which means the Anime wouldn't get past me till season 3 probably, and sadly it seems the Anime isn't likely to get a season 2.

I tend to like the perspective of being someone who doesn't enter adaptions with a filter of constantly comparing it to the original.  So I'm glad to see my lack of nit pickniness even applies to the one Anime I've watched as an adaptation.

In fact I'm going to say that the character of Himeko particularly benefits from being Dramatized.

You see in a purely visual medium where all I'm looking at are still images, a character not at all drawn to look Sexy suddenly getting all Seductive at the end of chapter 5 is something I pretty much just forget about.  However in a medium that includes acting, you can potentially rely on the Actress to make it work.

Bryn Appril is an Anime VA who's generally not voicing very sexual characters, she might be many character drawn with more "Talent" then this one, but her voice is usually not one you'd think of as a Fujiko Mine candidate.  And as Himeko she's mostly the same as she usually is, a cutesy best friend character.  But at the end of episode 4 she suddenly unleashes her inner Tigress and it turns out she can be quite dangerous.

Now is the point when some viewers go "all the set up for talking about the Actress and you only mention the Dub!!!".  Well I'm a Dub person, OG Man watched the Sub so you'll have to ask them about the Seiyu, or maybe Zeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment