Sunday, April 8, 2018

Anime Weekly Updates, Omer 1: Magical Girl Site and others.

If your confused by the title I'm using the Karaite reckoning of the Omer, today is the Feast of First Fruits and so the first day of the Omer.  Also the last day of Unleavened Bread.  Though by the time I actually post this on the Blog it might actually be past Sunset and thus Omer 2 already.  I have no idea if I'll keep this naming formula all the way through Pentecost.

First of all I decided today to watch the first episode of Magical Girl Site.   The buzz on twitter is that this is the latest Dark Magical Girl show, the latest Madoka imitator, and to some who've read the Manga the truly worst extreme.  Something a Madoka defender like me should be arguing against blaming Madoka for.

I actually liked the first episode.  It's dark in a very different way, and those people who want Anime to do more to provide commentary on Japanese culture this show is actually doing that more then any other Dark Magical Girl show does.

It provides a graphic brutal depiction of bullying, reminds me of why I love the movie Odd Girl Out and am annoyed by the massive praise of Mean Girls which is still ultimately a cartoony depiction of the issue.

As I've said, a big factor in my opinion on any Dark story is how it ends.  What people who seem to already know the Manga are saying is that this story is totally hopeless, but it wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with people making that assessment of something, just look at my endlessly complicated relationship with Batman V Superman.

And the very start already has my Yuri Googles shipping them.

Prior to today, I watched more episodes of X and have put it on hold.  I watched the High School Fleet OVAs which were fun.

I added Dragon Ball Z and Full Metal Panic to my MAL even though I haven't watched any of them recently.

I haven't watched this week's Simuldubs of Katana Maidens or Death March yet.  Katana Maidens may get it's own post on reaching it's half way point.

For Citrus I'm enjoying the Silver Twins arc, and for Overlord II I'm loving how it's picking up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment