Tuesday, April 3, 2018

I was cited in an Academic Paper about Madoka Magica.

And I learned about this because of the comments section on Digibro's Subreddit.

Shoujo Versus Seinen? Address and Reception in Puella Magi Madoka Magica (2011) Catherine Butler

 It's a good article even though I'm not sure yet how much I agree with it's conclusions.  So I am recommending it in-spite of how I'm about to get a little reactionary concerning how I was referenced.

I'm referenced in the footnotes of Page 8.  Later in the References section the specific blog post they link to is my post from December of 2015 titled Is Madoka Magica a Deconstruction?  And that's unfortunate since back then I defended classifying Madoka as a Deconstruction but have changed my mind on that since as shown by everything I had to say about the show in 2017.  In posts like Anime Deconstructions and Subversions and Madoka Magica was not Mean Spirited. [Update 2021: and now I have a more definitive take on that debate.]

In general I'm uncomfortable with being classified as a "Senien" (Does my age actually qualify me for that label?  I honestly don't know, I turned 30 on Halloween of 2015 and when I first watched Madoka was either earlier that year or in 2014,) Western Male who likes the show because of it's perceived rejection of traditional Mahou Shoujo which was never me even when I made that 2015 post.  I have been a Sailor Moon fan since long before Madoka existed, there was a time when I would have hid that, but that's long since gone.  I even defend Wedding Peach.  I like most of what I've seen so far of Pretty Cure and Cardcaptor Sakura, and I'm very interested in Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne.  In fact it's only because of my watching Sailor Moon on Hulu that I wound up checking out Madoka to begin with.

 I'm not sure it's fair to classify Glass Reflections in that context either, he has a positive review of Sailor Moon up now as well.

My objective throughout my Madoka posting of 2017 was to fight against the perception that it's very existence is some attack on the Magical Girl Genre.  And I intend to do that more, one is an idea that can only work as a YouTube video however.  And I also want to write something about how Madoka uses Faust on my Comparative Mythology Blog.

To me Madoka, Yuki Yuna, Nanoha and Prisma Illya may be officially marketed at males, but they still ultimately embrace the values of the traditional Magical Girl genre, no matter how different the approach is.

Still, I appreciate the Free Publicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment